Jansenville

Go Back

This little town of Jansenville owes its origins to the Dutch Reformed Church which formed a parish there in 1854 and was named after the last Dutch Governor of the Cape.

Jansenville is north of the Zuurberg Mountains in an area known as the Noorsveld, after a cactus-like succulent that abounds in the district.

Between Jansenville and the Zuurberg to the south is a plain that marks the northern boundary of the Addo National Park, while to the north are some hills which are a scenic drive and, at the summit, shortly before the giddy descent down the Ratelskloof Pass, one has a spectacular view across the Camdeboo plains to the peaks of the Sneeuberg.

Jansenville is game country and there are game farms and hunting concessions in the area as well as nature reserves including the Addo Elephant National Park.

Jansenville has a number of fine buildings, dominated by the large Dutch Reformed Church, a building in the basilican style made of local stone which is a heritage site.

The Anglo-Boer War fort north of the town attests to the guerilla activity in the area in that conflict.

The restored Sid Fourie House serves as a museum. Coupled to an overnight stay in Jansenville the museum offers travellers a welcome and interesting break in their journey through the Karoo Heartland.