The Drostdy Hotel is situated in the beautiful Eastern Cape town of Graaff-Reinet (often called the Gem of the Karoo), which was established in 1786 and is South Africa’s fourth oldest magisterial district. The town contains over 220 heritage sites – more than any other town in South Africa – and has examples of magnificent Cape Dutch, Victorian and Karoo architecture.
The Drostdy, which was recently refurbished to award-winning standards, is a five star hotel with 48 exceptionally beautiful rooms. Stretch’s Court incorporates 31 rooms; the Ferreira precinct has seven rooms, each in their own secluded area; and Kromm’s Court has a further 10 rooms.
The much acclaimed De Camdeboo restaurant at the Drostdy serves a wide selection of delicious Eastern Cape fare and is open daily for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Guests have access to many facilities, including the popular Africology Spa, a travel consultancy and information centre, a state-of-the-art gym, a choice of three swimming pools and the Imibala Art Gallery. Conference facilities are offered too.
The hotel is also a proud supporter of the SA College for Tourism and has an on-site travel consultancy and information facility.
Bachelor Rooms (8)
The Bachelor rooms are ideal for the corporate traveller and accommodate a maximum of 2 guests. The average room size is 20 m2.
Standard Rooms (17)
The Standard Rooms can accommodate a maximum of 2 guests with an average room size of 31 m2.
One room with universal accessibility offer the following facilities:
- Spacious bathroom
- Hand rails in bathroom
- Raised toilet
- Lowered basin
- Telephone in bathroom
- Wheelchair accessible
- Wider doors & passages for wheelchairs
Executive Rooms (15)
- The Executive Rooms range in size from 27 – 63 m2 and 5 of the rooms can accommodate up to 2 guests. There are 2 Ferreira Executive rooms which are located in a private precinct and can be sold together with three standard rooms in the barn as a separate area with private pool.
- Suites accommodate a maximum of 2 guests with an average room size of 46 m2.
- Complimentary Nespresso style pod coffee, herbal teas and biscuits in room
- 24 Hour room service
- Flat and satellite screen television
- Individually controlled air conditioning and heating
- Heated towel rails
- Underfloor heating in bathrooms
- En-suite bathrooms with separate bath, toilet and shower
- 100% Cotton linen
- Fully stocked personal mini bar in all rooms
- Electronic safe
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Luxury bathroom amenities
- Writing desk and leather folder
- International plugs
- Valet & laundry service
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Daily newspapers and summary of International newspapers on request
Special services and facilities:
- Travel consultancy and information service
- Business desk and professional secretarial service
- One room equipped with facilities for universal accessibility
- State of the art gym facilities
- A World Class Africology Spa (Find more information on http://www.africologyspa.com)
- A choice of three pools in beautifully manicured gardens
- Secure parking and full Concierge service
- Conferencing facilities are available at the SA College for Tourism.
- Imibala Art Gallery
- De Camdeboo Restaurant
- Gaze in awe at the breath-taking views on top of the Valley of Desolation in Camdeboo National Park and watch the sun go down over the Plains of Camdeboo. A memorable experience
- Picnic or braai in Camdeboo National Park. Enjoy the game viewing en route to your site
- Experience life as it was in the 1800’s when you visit the historical Reinet House, Old Residency Museum, Urquhart House and the Military Museum. The Black Acorn grapevine planted by Charles Murray in 1870 is still growing at Reinet House
- Admire the architecture of the Dutch Reformed Church (Groote Kerk), Drostdy Hotel, Stretch’s Court and the cottages in the town
- Experience the prehistoric era through the fossils in the Old Library Museum
- Enjoy the artwork of famous contemporary South African artists at the Hester Rupert Art Museum
- Taste our famous Karoo lamb, venison and great Karoo food whilst enjoying authentic “platteland” hospitality at one of the town’s cosy restaurants
- The Christmas Lights in Acacia Street in Kroonvale offer a memorable festive season for all. The local community decorate their homes, gardens and street with Christmas lights for all to enjoy. Join the festivities and walk the street in this secure community
- Check out the biggest Cacti collection on the planet and walk the fascinating succulent plant labyrinth at Obesa Nursery. There is also a ceramic gallery where you can buy beautifully crafted pots in which to plant your Karoo rose-like succulent
- Karoo adventure – take our 4×4 to the top of the mountain trail or set off hiking and mountain biking in the vast open landscapes to experience a sense of freedom, peacefulness and space
- Take time out to enjoy films and live shows at the historical John Rupert Theatre
- Experience authentic Karoo farm life on a working guest farm in the area
- Enjoy a day trip to Nieu Bethesda and visit Helen Martin’s Owl House Museum. It is often cited as South Africa’s finest example of outsider art
- For nature lovers there are a variety of guided nature walks in the area
- Visit and experience life in Graaff-Reinet’s Xhosa township with a tour guide. Visits include the kindergarden, clinic, library, church (Sundays only), a private home and taste Ouma`s (grandmother`s) tasty roosterbrood (local cuisine)