Lady De Waal Bridge
The steel Lady De Waal Bridge outside Steytlerville was built in 1911/12 to span the Groot River in the direction of Uitenhage. It was inaugurated in October 1913 by the first administrator of the Union, Sir Frederick de Waal who named it after his wife, Lady De Waal.
During the 1916 floods, the bridge was washed away. Rebuilt, it was again washed away in the 1921 floods. This time the bridge was rebuilt nine feet higher as single-lane steel-girder bridge.
When a new double carriage concrete bridge was constructed in 1974, residents requested the old bridge remain as part of the history of the town.