Karoo Heartland

Sightseeing

There are many stories – some sad, some wondrous, others downright weird ...

Legend has it that the early settlers in the area saw a ...

The Sir Frederic Bridge (also called Jubileum Bridge) dates back to 22 ...

Andreas Gotlieb Schombe moved to the Cape from Konigsberg in Denmark. in 1765.  ...

Pieter Willem van Heerden was born on 27 August 1859 and married ...

The Roodewal historic site next to the N10 near Cookhouse doesn’t just ...

The construction for the cement Road (R329) between Willowmore and Steytlerville commenced ...

Tarkastad isn’t a big town with many monuments even though there is ...

Outside Steynsburg are two very well know Karoo landmarks. Koffiebus and Teebus, ...

The farm Waterford was owned by two Irish Immigrant brothers, John and ...

The Eastern Cape town of Bedford is famous for its annual Garden ...

This Church was built by the local community in 1958, as a ...

The first Dutch Reformed congregation (and also the first church) in Cradock ...

Arguably the oldest church in Cradock and definitely the oldest church building ...

Art

The Cradock cemetery is probably one of the most interesting ones around. ...

The Dutch Reformed Church in Roetbron was built in 1910. At that ...

Somerset East is rich in history and in addition to the monuments ...

Throughout the Karoo it’s common to see flat-topped hills called Karoo Koppies ...

Modderfontein is located about 23km outside of Tarkastad. It was here that ...

Take a walk around the Nieu-Bethesda cemetery and see graves both ancient ...

The Great Fish River that runs past Cookhouse formed the eastern boundary ...

The church was completed in 1862, for the astronomical amount at the ...

The village of Pearston is situated in the shadow of the Coetzeesberge ...

The Hennie Steyn Bridge, spanning the Orange River between Venterstad and Bethulie ...

Jansenville’s Museum, better known as the Sid Fourie House, stands on Brug ...

Willowmore has a number of historic buildings, churches and monuments in addition ...

The Mayor’s Garden can be found on the corner of Meintjies Street ...

The Compassberg (2502m) is the highest peak in the Sneeuberg range and ...

The old watermill in Nieu-Bethesda was erected in 1860 by Mr B.J. ...

The iconic “Rooi Bruggie” in Willowmore was erected as a pedestrian bridge ...

Venterstad was laid out in 1875 and attained municipal status in 1895. ...

Somerset East lies below the Boschberg mountain which is anything but typical ...

The Groot Kerk is one of Graaff-Reinet’s best-known landmarks, but the town ...

P.W.F. Weyers, a former hawker, who lost cattle in an attack by ...

Marette se Bankie is a viewpoint overlooking the village of Nieu-Bethesda at ...

Graaff-Reinet is one of South Africa’s oldest towns and boasts approximately 220 ...

Dr William Gill was appointed District Surgeon of the newly founded town ...

The Adelaide War Memorial stands next to the town hall

Approximately 12 km from Willowmore, the “Wonderboom” or “Wonder Tree” is found. ...

The Valley Of The Flags is located on the R329 outside Steytlerville. ...

Back in the early 1800s this area was the eastern border of ...

Imagine being back in the 1840s. Clanking wagons roll through the river ...

The Dassiedeur Tunnel, built in 1879, is an old disused 271-meter railway ...

During SA’s golden century of rail travel, Klipplaat was a major junction. ...

The Old Blackstone Power Station, which supplied the town with power until ...

About 17km south of Jansenville stands a couple of gnomes surveying the ...

The Pearston Dutch Reformed Church in the village of Pearston near Somerset ...

One of the Karoo’s most obscure tourism attractions is 150 metres underground, ...

Tarkastad Freemasons Lodge This little stone building next to the Presbyterian Church ...

Right in the north of the Karoo Heartland on the border between ...

What is a drostdy? It is the office or residence of a ...

In 1853 Petrus Fourie arranged for the layout and survey of about ...

In 1875, a commission appointed by the Graaff-Reinet Dutch Reformed Church, purchased ...

For the best panoramic view of the whole of Cradock you have ...

Trim Park in Cradock has several memorials and a historic building that ...

Soon after the first shots were fired between the Boers and the ...

The Tarkastad War Memorial was erected after the first World War with ...

Motorists traveling along the N9 from the interior via Graaff Reinet and ...

Near the roadside between Aberdeen and Graaff-Reinet, in the middle of the ...

Nieu Bethesda has a working network of furrows, with water supplied daily ...

Behind the Reinet House Museum in Graaff-Reinet, visitors will find a Black ...

The Bruintjieshoogte Pass lies on the R63 road about halfway between Pearston ...

The Gregg Price Art Gallery in Nieu-Bethesda was opened in December 2018. ...

The Union Monument is located on the top of Magazine Hill. The ...

On 26 June 1902 the foundation stone of the new Town Hall ...

The Dutch Reformed Church in Aberdeen was constructed in two stages. The ...

Deep in the Karoo Heartland – along a dirt road and, seemingly, in the ...

The Dutch Reformed Church in Jansenville is unusual in that the bell ...

JK Rowling, creator of the billion-dollar boarding school fantasy series, is famous ...

The steel Lady De Waal Bridge outside Steytlerville was built in 1911/12 ...

The St Lawrence Anglican Church situated at Tafelberg Station near Middelburg was ...

The Somerset East War Memorial (also called the Delville Wood Memorial) is ...