Graaff-Reinet Town Hall and War Memorial

Graaff-Reinet Town Hall and War Memorial



On 26 June 1902 the foundation stone of the new Town Hall in Church Square named “The Victoria Hall” was laid but building operations only started in April 1910. The town hall was designed along Flemish Renaissance lines. The building consists of a Main Hall, Council Chamber and Banqueting Hall. Victoria Hall was officially opened on 5 September 1911. The original building was in red brick pointed in white. In recent times the exterior was redecorated in its present colour effect and an office block was added at the rear.

Three months after the end of the first World War a public meeting was called by Graaff Reinet’s Mayor, Mr. H Urquhart, at which it was decided to erect a monument on the most prominent site in town, in honour of the gallant Graaff-Reinet men who had lost their lives in the war. The site chosen was in front of the Town Hall in the centre of what is now known as the Mayor’s Garden. Generous donations were received to meet the cost of the memorial.

On 7 November 1923 the great bronze figure of the “Victory Peace Angel”, mounted on a high pedestal, was unveiled by H.R.H. Prince Arthur of Connaught.

Contact Info

  • Mayor's Garden in front of the Town Hall, Graaff Reinet