Fresh and hot from the oven, these scones from Chantelle & Marizanne of Camdeboo Cottages and Karoopark Guesthouse in Graaff Reinet are made with a recipe passed down from their grandmother – it doesn’t get more authentically Karoo than recipes shared through generations. Happy baking!
560g (4 x 250ml) flour
250ml buttermilk or maas
40ml baking powder
80g butter or margarine (Chantelle says she always uses butter)
- Pre-heat oven to 240 °C
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Rub in butter or margarine, handling as gently and lightly as possible
- In a bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk and water together
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, just enough to make a medium-firm dough
- Pat out the mixture and cut scones 3cm thick
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes
Slather with butter, jam, cream or cheese or any combination thereof! Enjoy!